Division of Minerals
Commission on Mineral Resources
Division of Forestry
State Health Board
Division of Water Resources
Jim Barbee, Director
Agriculture - Reno
Kenneth Mayer, Director
Dept. of Wildlife
Rose Marie Reynolds
Deputy Attorney General
John B. Walker
SEC Regulatory Meeting 12/05/2012
The State Environmental Commission (SEC) held a meeting on Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 at 10:30 am in Carson City.
The meeting location was in Carson City is the Bryan Building located at 901 South Stewart Street (2nd floor, Tahoe Room).
1) Public Comments: Members of the public are invited to speak before the SEC; however, no action may be taken on a matter during public comment until the matter itself had been included on an agenda as an item for possible action. Public comment will be limited to ten minutes per person at the discretion of the chairperson. (For Discussion)
2) Approval of the Agenda: Agenda (For Possible Action)
Arsenic Rule Extensions
Bureau of Safe Drinking Water
4) Arsenic Rule Extensions: (For Possible Action)
Pursuant to the federal Safe Drinking Water Act and Nevada laws and regulations (i.e., NRS 445A.935, & NAC 445A.490.5), the State Environmental Commission (SEC) has the authority to grant "extensions" to exemptions previously issued by the SEC regarding the federally mandated standard for arsenic in drinking water (i.e., 10 parts per billion). In 2006 and 2007, the SEC granted sixty-four "exemptions" to water purveyors in Nevada to
extend the timeline for compliance with the federal arsenic rule.
The Nevada Division of Environmental Protection's Bureau of Safe Drinking Water (BSDW) established criteria, based on state regulations and U.S. EPA
guidance, to screen exempted facilities for up to three, two-year extensions to the timeline for compliance with the arsenic rule. Such extensions were issued by the SEC to eligible water systems in 2008 and 2010.
Accordingly, at this meeting the SEC will act on staff recommendations for, or against, a final round of two-year extensions of the timeline for compliance with the federal arsenic rule for a selected list of water purveyors in Nevada (see documents below).
5) Administrator's Briefing to the Commission: NDEPís Administrator will brief the Commission on staffing changes at the Division, anticipated federal rulemaking, activities associated with the upcoming legislative session, and BDRs. (For Discussion)
6) Public Comment (For Discussion) Members of the public will be invited to speak before the SEC; however, no action may be taken on a matter during public comment until the matter itself has been included on an agenda as an item for possible action. Public comment may be limited to ten minutes per person at the discretion of the chairperson. (See Nevada Open Meeting Law Manual - Page 58 and 81)
Persons wishing to comment on the proposed actions of the State Environmental Commission (SEC) may appear at the scheduled public hearing or may address their comments, data, views, or arguments in written form to: State Environmental Commission, 901 South Stewart Street, Suite 4001, Carson City, Nevada 89701-5249. The SEC must receive written submissions at least five days before the scheduled public meeting.
If no person who is directly affected by the proposed action appears to request time to make an oral presentation, the SEC may proceed immediately to act upon any written submissions.
As required by the provisions of chapter 241 of Nevada Revised Statutes, the agenda for this meeting was posted at the following locations: the Bryan Building (901 South Stewart Street, Carson City, Nevada); the offices of the Division of Environmental Protection in Las Vegas (2030 E. Flamingo Rd. Suite 230), the Nevada Division of Minerals, 400 W. King Street, Carson City, NV and at the Nevada Department of Wildlife (1100 Valley Road, Reno, Nevada).
Members of the public who are disabled and require special accommodations or assistance at the meeting are requested to notify, in writing, the Nevada State Environmental Commission, in care of John B. Walker, Executive Secretary, 901 South Stewart Street, Suite 4001, Carson City, Nevada 89701-5249, facsimile (775) 687-5856, or by calling (775) 687-9308, no later than 5:00 p.m. on November 28th, 2012.
Send Email to receive SEC Public Notice updates
Print this page